Mosquitoes Are Swarming in Florida! Don’t become a victim of these blood sucking monsters.
When you are in your backyard of your Ft. Lauderdale home, you get to enjoy almost everything nature has provided, except for the blood thirsty mosquito. Most people don’t know that there are many things you can do as the homeowner to help prevent these mosquitoes from ruining your day.
Tips for Eliminating Mosquito Breeding Areas
- Empty all standing or stagnant water around the home: look for potted plants, buckets, pet water bowls, coolers, wheelbarrows, and anything that can hold water
- Fill any low areas on the property that retain water
- Keep outdoor garbage cans and recycling bins form accumulating water, if necessary, drill drain holes in the bottom of these containers
- Inspect your gutters and drains monthly and clean them at least once a year, if you have a lot of tree debris, you may need to clean them more often to make sure they are not clogged and holding water
- Keep your landscape trimmed neatly, mosquitoes use dark shady areas of our landscape to hide during the day
Tips to Prevent Mosquito Bites
- Make sure all of your window and doors are properly sealed and your screen coverings are in good shape
- If planning on staying outdoors for long periods of time, wear long sleeve shirts, pants and use an insect repellent
- This is especially important if you plan on traveling outside the US, “Mosquito-borne diseases that may be rare in the U.S. are common in many other countries.”
- Most mosquitoes are active between dusk and dawn, but the mosquito known for caring Zika is a day time biter, make sure you take precautions
If you have any other questions or concerns about mosquitoes around your Fort Lauderdale home, send us an email or give us a call to schedule a free estimate and inspection: 954-421-6187.
Blog written by James Miller, GM, ACE: Associate Certified Entomologist